Newcastle United supporters are renowned for following their team through thick and thin. While the fans have longstanding grievances with their owner, they still usually turned up on match day, often to protest first.
The Geordies may finally had enough – the first three home matches attracted crowds of 47,635 (Arsenal) 44,157 (Watford) and 43,360 (Brighton). Even a shock 1-0 win at Tottenham (the bookies gave Newcastle a ~9% chance of success) wasn’t enough to get a full house for the Watford game. The attendance figures at St. James Park have been the lowest for the past three seasons for the Premier League home matches this year – 91% vs Arsenal, 84% vs Watford and 83% vs Brighton.
It’s worrying times on Tyneside.