For the 2014/2015 season we recorded the predictions of Sky Sports pundit Paul Merson and BBC pundit Mark Lawrenson for English Premier League matches. For this season our Follow the Pundit! section provides weekly updates on the success of these football experts.
After the gameweek 8, the stats for both pundits are below. Merson predicted just over half of the match outcomes correctly. Unfortunately Lawrenson gets more match outcomes wrong than right.
Paul Merson - Gameweek 8
Mark Lawrenson - Gameweek 8
- Both pundits have overestimated the performance of the clubs they would be primarily associated with as a player. Merse believed that Arsenal would be 5 points better off while Lawro thought that Liverpool would have 4 extra points at this stage.
- Both pundits have underestimated the performance of their rival club. In the case of Merse he believed that Tottenham would be 16th. In reality they are 8th and have 7 more points than Merse suggested. Lawro believed that Everton would be 17th .In reality are 7th and have 8 points more than the ex-Liverpool man estimated.
- Both pundits correctly call Man City to be leading the table but do overestimate their defensive performances. Lawro correctly calls the top two, suggesting that Arsenal would be 2nd.
- Merse has correctly placed two of the bottom three teams (Newcastle and Sunderland), while Lawro has placed one right (Aston Villa)
- Both pundits clearly overestimate Chelsea's performances.
Interestingly, Paul Merson predicted the 20 clubs in the order he thinks they will finish at the end of the season in September. The question is, will his predictions be able to match his order? Currently he has matched the top 3 teams!